Chicken & Pearl Barley Soup
The Dietologist gives us the perfect weeknight meal, Chicken & Pearl Barley Soup!
For the ultimate comfort meal, try The Dietologist’s deliciously cosy Chicken & Pearl Barley Soup.
With an easy 6-step method, this is the ultimate weeknight meal which includes a boost of vitamin-rich pearl barley and heap of oh-so-good-for-me vegetables.
Food for thought:
The combination of garlic, onion and tomato passata with herbs fondly known as sofrito, are a classic part of the Mediterranean diet often used to boost fertility. When combined with extra virgin olive oil, the antioxidant lycopene has enhanced absorption. This particular antioxidant, Lycopene, has been associated with improved sperm health.
Recipe: Chicken & Pearl Barley Soup (Serves 4 - 6)
Serves 4-6 | Prep Time: 10 min | Cooking Time: 60 mins
1 whole free-range chicken
2 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 brown onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4-5 bay leaves (fresh or dried)
2-3 rosemary sprigs, fresh
2 tbsp thyme, fresh
1 cup pearl barley, washed
3-4 L hot water
420 mL tomato passata
Salt & pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large saucepan, sautee onion, garlic, carrot, celery & zucchini for 5-10 min.
2. Place the whole chicken with the vegetables and brown for 1-2 mins on each side.
3. Add salt & pepper and season with the herbs.
4. Add the hot water to the chicken and vegetables and the tomato passata, rapidly boil for at least 30 min.
5. Add the rinsed pear barley and cook for another 20 min, stirring every couple of mins. Check seasoning at this time.
6. Serve with freshly cracked pepper and a delicious crusty sourdough.