IVFAustralia are Sydney’s leading fertility specialists, with 35 doctors located across 15 clinics in NSW & ACT.
Expert advice from one of our fertility specialists and a few simple tests can help you understand your overall reproductive health and find the best solution to help you have the baby you’ve been hoping for.
How to boost your natural fertility
If you’re trying for a baby at home, the timing of when you and your partner have sex is critical. The most fertile days in your cycle are the days leading up to ovulation, before the egg if released from the ovary. We recommend regular intercourse every two days during this time to give you the best chance of conception that month. Calculate the most fertile days in your cycle…
There may also be improvements you could make to boost egg or sperm health and your overall fertility.
- Stop smoking and recreational drug use
- Optimise your weight for a healthy BMI. Being under or over weight can affect your chances of conceiving
- Moderate alcohol and caffeine intake
- Consider vitamin supplements and women should take folic acid for 3 months prior to conception
What can affect your fertility?
A number of factors can affect your chance of conceiving.
For women the most common causes of infertility include
- the age of the woman which affects the quality and quantity of eggs
- ovulation disorders that impact the ovaries ability to produce an egg eg: polycystic ovarian syndrome
- structure of the fallopian tubes eg: blockages can prevent the sperm and egg meeting; and
- the health and condition of the uterus eg: presence of endometriosis or fibroids
For men the most common causes of infertility include
- problems with sperm production due to testicular failure or obstruction/blockage
- the size, shape and motility of sperm
- presence or absence of sperm antibodies
- high levels of sperm DNA fragmentation; or
- genetic conditions eg: cystic fibrosis or chromosomal abnormalities
What’s involved in a fertility consultation?
A conversation with a fertility specialist can help you understand your overall reproductive health. They will organise a few simple tests to identify any factors that could be affecting your fertility.
For women these usually involve blood tests and an ultrasound and for men a semen analysis.
Solutions to help you fall pregnant
Our fertility specialists can offer a range of solutions and create an individualised treatment plan that maximises your chance of having a baby, your way.
Many poeple can be assisted with simple fertility treatments to help them fall pregnant such as
- Ovulation tracking – blood tests to help confirm ovulation and optimise timing of intercourse for conception
- Ovulation induction – medications to encourage your ovaries to produce eggs
- Intrauterine insemination – prepare semen inserted into the womb close to the time of ovulation
In more complex cases the specialist may recommend
- IVF – After a course of ovarian stimulation, eggs are collected from the ovaries and fertilised with sperm in a laboratory. One of the resulting embryos is then transferred back into the uterus.
If you are single or in a same sex relationship we can assist you with
Your fertility specialist will discuss with you all your options and your likelihood of success, to help you make an informed decision about which treatment is right for you.
Book a fertility consultation
It is recommended you seek specialist advice if you have been trying to conceive for 12 months (6 months if you are over 35), or you are considering using a donor.
Appointments are usually available within a few weeks and will cost approximately $150 for a couple after the Medicare rebate.
To book an appointment simply email us or call 1800 111 483.